- Dignity & Respect – DH (Local): All employees shall treat all individuals with respect, dignity, good manners, and the civility demanded of a civilized nation. [SAISD Board Policy]
- Assignments – DK (Local): The campus principal/department head shall be responsible for the assignment and reassignment of all personnel to the specific grade, subject areas, or position for which the employee is qualified in his or her area of certification within the campus or department. Changes in assignments for the ensuing school year shall be made known to the employee as soon as possible, but not later that the last teacher contract day of the current school year. [SAISD Board Policy]
- Planning & Prep Time –DL (Legal): Each classroom teacher is entitled to at least 450 minutes within each two-week period for instructional preparation including parent-teacher conferences, evaluating students’ homework, and planning. A planning and preparation period may not be less than 45 minutes within the instructional day. During that time, a teacher may not be required to participate in any other activity. (Education Code 21.404) [SAISD Board Policy]
- Duty-Free Lunch – DL (Legal): Each classroom teacher or full-time librarian is entitled to at least a 30-minute lunch period free from all duties and responsibilities connected with the instruction and supervision of students. (Education Code 21.405) [SAISD Board Policy]
- Interruptions – EC (Legal): The Board shall limit interruptions of classes during the school day for nonacademic activities such as announcements and sales promotions. Announcements shall be made no more than once during the school day, except for emergency announcements. (Education Code 25.083) [SAISD Board Policy]
- Paperwork Reduction – DLB (Legal): The Board shall limit redundant requests for information and the number and length of written reports that a classroom teacher is required to prepare. [SAISD Board Policy] Review Paperwork Description/Justifications (Print Paperwork Justification Letter)
- Lesson Plans –DLB (Legal): Written lesson plans are only required to outline in a brief and general manner the information to be presented during each period at the secondary level or in each subject or topic at the elementary level. “Brief” is defined as short in extent and length. “General” is defined as including main elements rather than details. (Education Code 11.164) [Administrative Procedure E3]
- Employee Work Schedule & Excessive Meetings – DK (Local): Teachers shall be on duty seven and one-half hours each day, between 7:15 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., as determined by the school principal. A principal may require teachers to be on duty more than seven and one-half hours for in-service training and/or staff meetings with at least five working days notice to the teachers, unless urgent circumstances arise that demand immediate attention. A principal may require teachers to meet outside the regular school day as long as the additional time does not exceed a total of 180 minutes within a four-week period and no single meeting or training exceeds 90 minutes in length. All other professional instructional and support personnel shall be on duty a minimum of 8 hours each day, between 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. or longer if necessary to accomplish their individual jobs in a satisfactory and professional manner, as determined by the school principal. [SAISD Board Policy]
- Safe Schools Act – Chapter 37.001-37.002: This law grants teacher the authority to remove disruptive students from the classroom. More Information
- Compensatory Time – DEA (Local): Compensatory time earned by nonexempt employees may not accumulate beyond a maximum of 60 hours. If an employee has a balance of more than 60 hours of overtime, the employee will be required to take compensatory time or, at the district’s option, will receive overtime pay. [SAISD Board Policy]
- Para Professional Work Day – SAISD Administrative Procedure D18: Instructional assistants shall be on duty 7 ½ hours, excluding a thirty minutes duty-free lunch, between 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. as scheduled by the principal. In addition, two 15-minute breaks are included in the 7 ½-hour duty time. Clerks, secretaries, LVNs, and other so designated employees shall be on duty 8 hours, excluding a 30-minute duty-free lunch, between 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 pm as scheduled by the principal. Also two 15-minute breaks are included in the 8-hour workday.
- Reporting Absences (less than one day): Any employee cam take a portion of the day off based on the guidelines in the payroll manual. The district payroll manual contains a table for recording absences of less than one day. For a 7 1/2 hour employee, for example, 46-90 minutes constitutes two tenths of a day. While campuses frequently have to pay for a substitute for the full day in order to get a sub, the employee is still entitled to take a portion of the day as per the payroll manual guidelines. The table in the payroll manual is not for use in a punitive manner with employees who are late to work. Problems with habitual tardiness should be dealt with through the employee discipline procedures. Click here to review the payroll manual. Pages 38 and 39 of the manual show the times that your administrator should adhere to if you take a portion of one day off.
Click here to print the Know Your Rights information.
Click here to access additional SAISD Board policies or call the Alliance Office at 225-7174.