Please mark your calendar to attend the SAISD Board meeting next Monday, Nov. 10 at 5:30 p.m. at Burnet Center. At a work session Wednesday night, the SAISD administration proposed that the SAISD Board approve a plan that includes eliminating continuing contracts at two schools next year along with:
- Removing any and all limitations on after-school meetings.
- Allowing principals to use your planning/prep period at his/her discretion for “collaborative” planning.
- Waiving the state law that says teachers may only be required to prepare a unit or weekly lesson plan that outlines, in a brief and general manner, the information to be presented. Will allow principals to require whatever they want with regard to lesson plans.
- Requiring attendance at professional development before the start of the school year and after the start of the school year.
- Requiring an 8-hour day for teachers.
If this proposal passes for these two schools, Connell and Davis, look for it to spread throughout the district eventually. We must stop it now.
At a third school, the newly proposed Young Men’s Leadership Academy, all of the above would apply plus the state class size caps would be eliminated, thereby having no limit to the number of students in those classes.
The administration stated that the purpose for the waivers is to “attract and retain high quality staff” at these schools. It’s hard to imagine how taking away continuing contracts will attract and retain high quality staff. It’s hard to imagine how removing after-school meeting limitations will attract and retain high quality staff. It’s hard to imagine how taking away the discretion teachers have about use of the little bit of planning/prep time they have will attract and retain high quality staff. It’s hard to imagine how allowing principals to require whatever they want with regard to lesson plans will attract and retain high quality staff.
Please attend Monday’s school board meeting. We need a HUGE turnout. Let’s stand up and stand together!!